NOGGINS BLOG GBM (Glioblastoma multiforme)

I would like to welcome you to my blog. If you have any stories about Glioblastoma multiforme (GBM), you are a sufferer of GBM, loved one, friend or acquaintances of a GBM sufferer or simply have an opinion about GBM, alternative medicine, diets to boost the immune system or anything else that you would like to share about GBM, you are encouraged to post here.

Monday 24 February 2014

What If...

As a daughter who lost her mother to a brain tumor/brain cancer/GBM this picture has a huge effect on me. What if the president or a Royal or even a celebrity had this diagnosis? Would sufferers still be faced with the terrifying prognosis that they face today? Would my mum have still been here now?

For those of you who don't know, and most of you probably won't unless you've done your research, brain cancer is one of the most underfunded and it recieves LESS THAN 1% of TOTAL cancer research funds. I said you'd have had to have done your research to know this because it's a little known fact and one that makes me very angry!

I wouldn't wish a brain tumour on my worst enemy. I saw how my mum suffered, I heard her groan in pain as the tumour pushed on her brain, I held her hair while she was on her knees with sickness from the chemo, and I tied a scarf around her head when she began to lose her hair. But, I can't help thinking that if a well known figure with power had been through this too then my mum would be alive now. The government would have poured money into research and even if that person hadn't have been saved the money donated to brain cancer charities would have been poured into research and there may be a cure, or at least a life prolonging treatment that would give people hope.

Brain cancer research is still back in the 60s. No major development has been found since then. No medicine that will give a sufferer a real chance at life. At present the average life expectancy for a GBM sufferer is 14 months. If they are lucky enough to be operated on they will get more time, but the ending will always be the same. I'll never understand how money isn't split evenly between cancers and if it weren't for independent charities like ours working to raise research funds brain tumour research would be even further behind than it already is...

www.redwellies.info
@redwelliesLW

3 comments:

  1. Shanny it's you mcsister, I miss you! This is beautiful... Brought a tear to my eye always here for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your statement. I too lost my darling little mummy on the 29th of dec 2013.
    She was diagnosed with GBM in January of 2012.
    After surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy the tumour returned.
    She lasted just about another 2 years and it was heartbreaking to see her go back downhill.
    I never would've expected that it was going to be my mum get cancer. She was always so fit and healthy and happy and never done anyone wrong.
    She always used to say before she got ill "you never know what's round the corner, you could be gone tomorrow".
    We all miss her terribly and are completely devastated that she's gone.
    More needs to be done to try and beat this cancer, it's not like you can just take the whole brain away and put a new one in.
    It needs to be made a priority in research, the government should be ashamed and maybe not send so much money abroad and actually put their own people first for a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really sorry to hear about your mum. I hate knowing that someone else has had to deal with this.My thoughts are with you.
      It's shocking when your parent gets ill, I always knew I couldn't have her forever but the diagnosis was still so unexpected.
      Through Red Wellies we hope that one day we will win the war again brain tumours and no one else will go through this pain.

      Delete